Tonight was my first endeavor with quinoa. I had no idea it was this super food! Pretty cool, so I wanted to try it, but I also wanted to put it in with some flavors that my kids (and my fussy self) are familiar with. Somehow I thought of enchiladas and googled it. I read a few different recipes. What I came up with was delicious! Charlie was not a fan, but he isn’t much of a fan of any Mexican food. Maria ate all of hers without any complaints (of course it was served with sour cream and guacamole!)
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1tbsp taco seasoning (or 1/2 packet of taco seasoning)
6 whole wheat tortillas
1 can refried beans (fat-free)
1-2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or jack)
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat)
2 small cans of green (verde) enchilada sauce
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package. (I cooked mine in the Pampered Chef rice cooker). After it is cooked, toss lightly with taco seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In the center of each tortilla spread 1/4 cup refried beans. Then spread 1 tbsp of sour cream on top of refried beans. Top with 1/4 cup quinoa. Then sprinkle 1-2 tbsp cheese over top. Roll into enchilada.
- Place enchiladas (seam side down) in a 9×13″ pan. Pour enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (at this point, you could stick in the refrigerator to bake later.)
- Bake for 20 minutes. (increase to 30 minutes if you had them in the refrigerator)
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.