Tonight was my first endeavor with quinoa. I had no idea it was this super food! Pretty cool, so I wanted to try it, but I also wanted to put it in with some flavors that my kids (and my fussy self) are familiar with. Somehow I thought of enchiladas and googled it. I read a few different recipes. What I came up with was delicious! Charlie was not a fan, but he isn’t much of a fan of any Mexican food. Maria ate all of hers without any complaints (of course it was served with sour cream and guacamole!)
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1tbsp taco seasoning (or 1/2 packet of taco seasoning)
6 whole wheat tortillas
1 can refried beans (fat-free)
1-2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or jack)
1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat)
2 small cans of green (verde) enchilada sauce
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package. (I cooked mine in the Pampered Chef rice cooker). After it is cooked, toss lightly with taco seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In the center of each tortilla spread 1/4 cup refried beans. Then spread 1 tbsp of sour cream on top of refried beans. Top with 1/4 cup quinoa. Then sprinkle 1-2 tbsp cheese over top. Roll into enchilada.
- Place enchiladas (seam side down) in a 9×13″ pan. Pour enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (at this point, you could stick in the refrigerator to bake later.)
- Bake for 20 minutes. (increase to 30 minutes if you had them in the refrigerator)
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
7 thoughts on “Quinoa Enchiladas”
I want to try this; what a great no-meat option. I also need to try the crock pot oatmeal. I can’t believe how grown up Maria, especially, looks! My fear has been having kids that grow up; hence my plan to keep them unborn so that could never happen….but I guess that my be slowly getting away from me too. Thanks for the comments. My husband also mentioned Frederick at one point, but only because it is a family name. His great-great (maybe another great) uncle Fred C., however, was a crook; he stole money from the town and gave it to the church! Maybe he meant well. Funny that you changed names for both kids fairly last minute!
oh, I re-read your comment to remember what girl name you liked & see you didn’t change the names, you just didn’t use the other names at all. got it.
I love quinoa, I posted a quinoa recipe today too! I think it’s great with Mexican flavors and this looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
These look great! Thanks for joining us for “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you’ll come back next week! -The Sisters
Pingback: My Favorite Meatless Recipes | petticoatexpress
How did you prepare the quinoa in your pampered chef rice cooker? How much water, did you use different power settings, and how many minutes. I’m interested in trying this method as well as i have a PC Microwave Rice Cooker too!
Angela, I do it just like I do rice. 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water (or broth), 5 min on high, 15 min on medium.