So you know I’m on this new eating better kick, right? I’m doing pretty good, too. Especially if you don’t count yesterday… So I have been playing around with some recipes to make them better. Like adding healthy fats (flax seed) and eliminating corn syrup. So I took my favorite Morning Glory Muffin recipe and doctored it a bit to reduce some of that “bad” stuff. Here’s the yumminess I came up with.
Morning Glory Muffins
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup honey
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large carrots
1 large apple – peeled, cored
1 cup raisins
1 cup applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil 24 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Grate (or finely chop) apple and carrots (I use a food processor for this)
- Put raisins in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with water and microwave for 1 minute. (Or cover with HOT water) This step plumps them up.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, ground flax seed, cinnamon, ground cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Drain raisins. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins.
- Stir in applesauce mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.